Applicants for the Police Officer and Police Cadet job openings must meet the following qualifications.
Police Officer Applicants
Must be age 21 upon graduating from our six-month police academy.
Police Cadet Applicants
Must be at least 18 years of age at the time of hire. You can apply at 17 1/2 years of age.
All applicants must:
- Pass a Written Examination
- Pass a Physical Agility Test (Police Officer and Lateral Police Officer Only)
- Pass a physical examination
- Pass a comprehensive background investigation, psychological screening, polygraph examination, and periodic drug testing
- Have United States Citizenship at the time of appointment
- Have a valid driver’s license
- Have a high school diploma or a GED certificate recognized by the Board of Education of Maryland at the time of the appointment
- Have less than four points on their driving record
- Have no felony convictions
The Baltimore County Police Academy
The Police Academy is a 27-week academic, physical and practical training program, which introduces recruits to a career in law enforcement. It is a non-residential program located in Dundalk, Maryland. The academy is paramilitary in nature and challenges recruits to develop self-discipline, perform under stressful situations, and focus on teamwork.
Academy classes are scheduled in March, June, September and December. See when the next Baltimore County Police Academy class is scheduled.